March 9, 2015
Dear Third Grade Parents and Students,
I hope you had a lovely weekend! It’s a big week with our Native American Project presentations!
St. Patrick’s Day: Students may dress in green next Tuesday to celebrate St. Patty’s Day! Please no face paint or hair dye. We will have Mass on Tuesday at 8:45am.
Native American Projects: All projects are due tomorrow, you may bring them in anytime after 8:00am. Presentations will be tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. A form went home last week with your child’s assigned presentation date. I look forward to seeing the finished projects! Projects will be out in the halls until Thursday, March 19th. Please arrange for pick up of the project either before school or after school on that date.
Scholastic Book Orders are due next Tuesday, March 17th. Remember you can order online too!
In School Field Trip-Of Cedar and Salmon: We have a very special event this Friday. The “Of Cedar and Salmon” program will be set up in the School Hall all day just for the 3rd and 4th grade students. This multi-media, multi-cultural, hands-on educational program is designed to teach students about the native art and culture of the Pacific Northwest Coast. This program supports and supplements the 3rd and 4th grade studies of Native People and cultures. Parents are welcome to come at any point during the day to check out the displays and program. This is a wonderful experience that I know your children will enjoy.
- By Monday, March 30th each student needs to bring in an egg carton (one dozen) and 12 normal, plastic eggs. These will be used with our Passion Book project. If you have any extra eggs cartons that we can use, please send them in as well.
Lenten Service: The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
For the collections, all items need to be in by Holy Thursday, April 17th.
Here are the opportunities:
- UGANDA COLLECTION: Throughout Lent, on any day, we will be collecting money for Uganda. We encourage you to find ways for your child to earn this money through chores or good works so that they feel responsible for their donations.
- CHIEF SEATTLE CLUB: The 3rd grade is collecting gently used or new adult coats to donate to Chief Seattle Club, a organization that specializes in assisting Native Americans.
- CANNED FOOD COLLECTION: As a school we will be contributing to the HRS food pantry.
- BROWN BAG FRIDAYS FOR ST. MARTIN de PORRES SHELTER: Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine. Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches. If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
- March 13 – disposable razors/shaving cream (sample size)
- March 20 – no School due to Archdiocesan In-service Day
- March 27 – travel size toothpaste and disposable toothbrush (singles)
This week we will be:
Reading: We read A Tree is Growing and focus on the differences among types of trees. The target skills this week is text and graphic features.
Language Arts: We use this time to share the Native American reports.
Math: Students took the 7s test today. We will not be doing a new fact this week. Please use this week to review previous facts. I will be sending home a progress report today that says which facts your child has passed and which ones they still need to pass. Please review this with your child and sign and return it.
We continue to work on elapsed time this week. Students will be bringing home a time game to play for homework. This needs to be returned by Friday.
Religion: Students continue to write and illustrate their own book on The Passion Story. Before Easter, they will present these booklets to the Kindergarteners and First graders.
Spelling: Homework is due Thursday and the test will also be on Thursday because of our in school field trip.
shark check queen circus flake crack second squeeze quart squeak quick coldest Africa Mexico
Challenge word: question
This week’s star: Julia
Next week’s star: Martin