March 16, 2015
Dear Third Grade Parents and Students,
The students did an amazing job on their presentations and projects last week! I’m so proud of all their hard work and it’s amazing to see how much progress we’ve made this year. Thank you for your support with these projects!
Friday was our Of Cedar and Salmon field trip. We had a great day of learning and fun! The kids got to play a game, learn about the people of the Northwest Coast, create Raven headdresses, and learn many valuable lessons. Please ask your children about what they learned!
Projects: Native American projects need to come home on Thursday. Students will receive their graded rubric on Thursday as well!
St. Patrick’s Day: Students may dress in green on Tuesday to celebrate St. Patty’s Day! Please no face paint or hair dye. We will have Mass on Tuesday at 8:45am.
No School: This Friday there is no school due to teacher in-service.
Scholastic Book Orders are due tomorrow. Remember you can order online too!
Morning Lenten Mass: On Thursday, March 19th at 7:45am, we have the opportunity to attend morning Mass as a class. This is a time for us to pause before the day begins to reflect on the Lenten season and take time to be with God. Students are welcome to sit with me or with their families. Mass begins at 7:45, please do not enter if it has already begun.
ATTENTION ALL FUN-SEEKERS:
It is time to sign up for the annual Bingo Bash with the Teachers! Flyers have been sent home with your child. For those of you whose children have never attended, it’s a very fun night for the kids to spend with their classmates and teachers playing bingo, eating pizza and winning prizes! It is our faculty auction donation and always raises lots of money for our wonderful school. Parents drop the children off at the gym at 6:00 pm on Friday, April. 17th and pick them up at 8:00, so it allows you time to have some fun yourselves while the kids are here at school! Your child will definitely want to be part of the fun 😉 Send all completed forms back with your child or drop them at the office. THANK YOU!!!!
- By Monday, March 30th each student needs to bring in an egg carton (one dozen) and 12 normal, plastic eggs. These will be used with our Passion Book project. If you have any extra eggs cartons that we can use, please send them in as well.
Lenten Service: The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
For the collections, all items need to be in by Holy Thursday, April 2nd.
Here are the opportunities:
- UGANDA COLLECTION: Throughout Lent, on any day, we will be collecting money for Uganda. We encourage you to find ways for your child to earn this money through chores or good works so that they feel responsible for their donations.
- CHIEF SEATTLE CLUB: The 3rd grade is collecting gently used or new adult coats to donate to Chief Seattle Club, a organization that specializes in assisting Native Americans.
- CANNED FOOD COLLECTION: As a school we will be contributing to the HRS food pantry.
- BROWN BAG FRIDAYS FOR ST. MARTIN de PORRES SHELTER: Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine. Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches. If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
- March 20 – no School due to Archdiocesan In-service Day
- March 27 – travel size toothpaste and disposable toothbrush (singles)
This week we will be:
Reading: This week we read a folktale called Two Bear Cubs/ Whose Land is It. We focus on the target skill of story structure and theme. The story is written as a play. Students will perform the story as a reader’s theater and work on reading with expression.
Language Arts: We use our writing time to continue working on our Passion Books. Students are developing strong summarizing skills through this and learning a lot about Jesus’ life!
Math: Students learn the 8’s facts today. We finish chapter 11 on measurement. We will take the ch. 11 assessments next week.
Social Studies: We learn our next section of states in our GeoJourney. Students also finish and share their totem pole stories.
Science: Students learn about 4 major types of clouds.
Spelling: Homework is due on Thursday and the test will also be on Thursday.
mood wooden drew smooth blue balloon rue crooked chew tooth hooves cool food pooch
Challenge word: jewel
This week’s star: Martin
Next week’s star: Nina
Have a great week!