March 2, 2015
Dear 3B Parents and Students,
I hope all of you had a fantastic weekend!
Native American reminder:
Visual reports are all due on Tuesday, March 10th. We will be sending home a handout with your child’s oral report date today (please look for this in their filer). The oral presentations will take place next Tuesday-Thursday.
Students brought home their research notes last Friday to use to help with their oral reports.
In School Field Trip-Of Cedar and Salmon: On Friday, March 13th 3rd and 4th grade will be having an all day in school field trip. Ronn Wilson who runs Of Cedar and Salmon will be putting on this exciting event!
Of Cedar and Salmon is a multimedia, multicultural, hands on, portable educational program designed to maximize student participation and involvement with the native art and cultures of the Pacific Northwest Coast with the native art and cultures of the Pacific Northwest Coast.
Scholastic Book Orders: Today I am sending home the Spring Scholastic Book order form. You can order online or return the printed form. Directions are attached to the form. If you wish to keep your order a secret, please email me to keep the materials for parent pick-up. Orders are due by March 17th!
School Play-The Fairy Tale Network:
Bring the whole family to enjoy the debut of Fairy Tale Network, a fast-paced, humor-filled play about a television network challenged to improve its viewership ratings with exciting new programming! Presented by Holy Rosary School, featuring original scenes, which have been masterfully authored by the students themselves. Additionally, the whole student body of Holy Rosary School has collaborated to design a beautifully intricate and fanciful set! Come feast your eyes and indulge your imagination in an evening filled with humor, memorable fun and whimsical entertainment. This is a spectacle not to be missed!
When: Wednesday March 4th & Thursday March 5th @ 7:00pm
Where: Holy Rosary School, Main Entrance: School Hall
Cost: Donations warmly accepted at the door
*Delicious treats & refreshments will be available from our very own, Starfish Coffee!
- By Monday, March 30th each student needs to bring in an egg carton (one dozen) and 12 normal, plastic eggs. These will be used with our Passion Book project. If you have any extra eggs cartons that we can use, please send them in as well.
Lenten Service: The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
For the collections, all items need to be in by Holy Thursday, April 17th.
Here are the opportunities:
- UGANDA COLLECTION: Throughout Lent, on any day, we will be collecting money for Uganda. We encourage you to find ways for your child to earn this money through chores or good works so that they feel responsible for their donations.
- CHIEF SEATTLE CLUB: The 3rd grade is collecting gently used or new adult coats to donate to Chief Seattle Club, a organization that specializes in assisting Native Americans.
- CANNED FOOD COLLECTION: As a school we will be contributing to the HRS food pantry.
- BROWN BAG FRIDAYS FOR ST. MARTIN de PORRES SHELTER: Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine. Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches. If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
- March 6 – men’s socks
- March 13 – disposable razors/shaving cream (sample size)
- March 20 – no School due to Archdiocesan In-service Day
- March 27 – travel size toothpaste and disposable toothbrush (singles)
This week, we will be learning:
Reading: We read The Albertosaurus Mystery and focus on how fossils tell us about the past. We also read a book called, Boy Were We Wrong about Dinosaurs.
Math: Today we took our 6s fact tests. Today we focus on the 7s multiplication and division facts.
We also continue to work through chapter 11 on measurement. This week we focus on elaspsed time.
Religion: Throughout Lent, students will be writing and illustrating their own book on The Passion Story. Before Easter, they will present these booklets to the Kindergarteners and First graders. Last week, students summarized and illustrated the first three stories in their Passion Booklets. We will complete three more stories this week. This is a wonderful project that the students are very excited about doing.
Language Arts: We finish up our written reports for the Native American project.
Social Studies: We continue to work on our Totem poles and write stories to go along with them. The North Central region tests came home today, please review this with your child.
Science: Students brainstormed research questions regarding weather systems. They use iPads and QR codes to find an answer to their question and pick an app to present this information to their classmates.
Spelling: Homework is due on Thursday and the test will be Friday.
age space change jawbone jacket
giant pencil circle once large
dance jeans bounce huge
Challenge word: excited
This week’s star: Kyrah
Next week’s star: Julia
Have a good week,