March 17, 2014
Dear Third Grade Parents and Students,
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! The students did an amazing job on their presentations and projects last week! I’m so proud of all their hard work and it’s amazing to see how much progress we’ve made this year. Thank you for your support with these projects!
Projects: Native American projects need to come home on Thursday. Students will receive their graded rubric on Thursday as well!
No School: This Friday there is no school due to teacher in-service.
Morning Lenten Mass: On Thursday, March 27th and Thursday, April 3rd at 7:45am, we have the opportunity to attend morning Mass as a class. This is a time for us to pause before the day begins to reflect on the Lenten season and take time to be with God. Students are welcome to sit with me or with their families. Mass begins at 7:45, please do not enter if it has already begun.
Lenten Service: The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
For the collections, all items need to be in by Holy Thursday, April 17th.
Here are the opportunities:
- UGANDA COLLECTION: Throughout Lent, on any day, we will be collecting money for Uganda. We encourage you to find ways for your child to earn this money through chores or good works so that they feel responsible for their donations.
- DIAPER COLLECTION: We will also be collecting diapers for Baby Corner throughout Lent. Again, try having your child earn money to purchase diapers to donate.
- CANNED FOOD COLLECTION: As a school we will be contributing to the HRS food pantry.
- BROWN BAG FRIDAYS FOR ST. MARTIN de PORRES SHELTER: Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine. Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches. If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
- March 21: Disposable toothbrush and toothpaste
- April 11: Men’s socks
This week we will be:
Reading: Students read chapter 5 and 6. We focus on analyzing the mood of the chapter using text evidence to support the claims. Students continue to analyze vocabulary using prefixes, suffixes and syllables.
Language Arts: We use our writing time to continue working on our Passion Books. Students are developing strong summarizing skills through this and learning a lot about Jesus’ life! This week we read and summarize two stories- Judas betraying Jesus and The Last Supper.
Math: Students take their 4s test today. Our next fact family is O AND 1s. Because these are basic facts we will memorize them both in one week. The test on the Os and 1s is next Monday. Students also take an assessment on measurement including capacity, mass and time.
Social Studies: We learn our next section of states in our GeoJourney.
Science: We begin a new unit on ecosystems and plants!
Spelling: Homework is due on Thursday and the test will also be on Thursday.
greedy feast delighted guest brilliant appreciate scolded startled distance measured thunder lightning
Homework: Use each word in a complete sentence. Please underline the word and check for correct capitalization and punctuation. Use lined paper and a proper heading.
This week’s star: P.J.
Next week’s star: Aidan
Have a great week!