March 10, 2014
Dear Third Grade Parents and Students,
I hope you had a lovely weekend! It’s a big week with our Native American Project presentations!
St. Patrick’s Day: Students may dress in green next Monday to celebrate St. Patty’s Day! Please no face paint or hair dye. We will have Mass on Monday at 8:45am.
Native American Projects: All projects are due tomorrow, you may bring them in anytime after 8:00am. Presentations will be tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. A form went home last week with your child’s assigned presentation date. I look forward to seeing the finished projects! Projects will be out in the halls until Thursday, March 20th. Please arrange for pick up of the project either before school or after school on that date.
Lenten Service: The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
For the collections, all items need to be in by Holy Thursday, April 17th.
Here are the opportunities:
- UGANDA COLLECTION: Throughout Lent, on any day, we will be collecting money for Uganda. We encourage you to find ways for your child to earn this money through chores or good works so that they feel responsible for their donations.
- DIAPER COLLECTION: We will also be collecting diapers for Baby Corner throughout Lent. Again, try having your child earn money to purchase diapers to donate.
- CANNED FOOD COLLECTION: As a school we will be contributing to the HRS food pantry.
- BROWN BAG FRIDAYS FOR ST. MARTIN de PORRES SHELTER: Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine. Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches. If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
- March 14: Disposable Razors and Shaving Cream (travel size)
- March 21: Disposable toothbrush and toothpaste
- April 11: Men’s socks
This week we will be:
Reading: This week students work on cause and effect and continue to analyze characters using strong adjectives while reading Ramona Quimby chapter 4.
Math: The timed test for the 3’s will be on Monday. This week students learn their 4’s facts. The test on the 4’s will be next Monday.
Religion: Throughout Lent, students will be writing and illustrating their own book on The Passion Story. Before Easter, they will present these booklets to the Kindergarteners and First graders. This week, students summarize and illustrate the first story in their Passion Booklets, ‘Jesus Enters Jerusalem’. This is a wonderful project that the students are very excited about doing.
Spelling: Homework due Thursday, test is on Friday.
Assignment: Write each of your spelling words twice in cursive. Please use lined paper and your proper paper heading.
doesn’t allow choice loyal power history ate eight sugar March weather whether division guide
Challenge word: vacation
This week’s star: Natasha
Next week’s star: P.J.