April 7, 2014
Dear Third Grade Parents and students,
Poetry Homework: April is poetry month and third grade will be doing some special poetry activities. Coming home tonight with your child will be a poetry assignment. In this assignment students are asked to pick a poem (they have four to choose from) and complete 3 activities by next Thursday, April 17. The directions are on the “Poetry Menu” and the poems follow.
- By Wednesday, April 9th each student needs to bring in an egg carton (one dozen) and 12 normal, plastic eggs. These will be used with our Passion Book project. If you have any extra eggs cartons that we can use, please send them in as well.
- We are creating mini-ecosystems in science and are in need of 2-liter clear bottles. If you have any, please send them in.
Picture Day: Class pictures will be next Tuesday, April 8th. A picture form was sent home last week. Please return the form to school on or before the 8th.
Lenten Service: The six weeks of Lent give us ample time and opportunity for service outreach. Pick and choose the activities that work for your family.
For the collections, all items need to be in by Holy Thursday, April 17th.
Here are the opportunities:
- UGANDA COLLECTION: Throughout Lent, on any day, we will be collecting money for Uganda. We encourage you to find ways for your child to earn this money through chores or good works so that they feel responsible for their donations.
- DIAPER COLLECTION: We will also be collecting diapers for Baby Corner throughout Lent. Again, try having your child earn money to purchase diapers to donate.
- CANNED FOOD COLLECTION: As a school we will be contributing to the HRS food pantry.
- BROWN BAG FRIDAYS FOR ST. MARTIN de PORRES SHELTER: Every year, as part of our Lenten Outreach, Holy Rosary School has provided lunches to the men at St. Martin de Porres shelter. Students are asked to bring a lunch or two and a toiletry item on designated Fridays during Lent. These lunches can be kept cold, so perishable food is fine. Please keep the toiletry items separate from the lunches. If you are interested in driving a few students to deliver the lunches one Friday in Lent, please contact Jennifer Hazzard in the school office.
- April 11: Men’s socks
This week we will be learning:
Reading: Students read chapter 8 and 9, focusing on character traits.
Math: Today students learn their 8’s facts. Please check the sheet in your child’s folder to make sure he or she is up to date with all of his facts. We begin a new chapter in My Math on graphing.
Language Arts: We finish the Passion Story this week and prepare the activity that goes along with it to share with Kindergarten students and you, our families, over Easter!
Science: We learn about food chains. Students learn about what a consumer, decomposer and producer is and how they affect food chains and are essential to ecosystems.
Social Studies: Immigration Homework-In social studies we are studying immigration. Coming home tomorrow with your child is a short assignment about his/her family. They will need your help on this assignment because it asks about a family member that has immigrated to the United States. Thanks for your help! This is due on Friday, Friday, April 11th.
Spelling: Review week, homework is due on Thursday and the test is on Friday.
Star of the week this week: Ryder
Star of the week next week: Sophia
Have a great week!