April 14, 2014
Holy Week has arrived!
- Thursday we will meet with our Faith Families to celebrate Holy Thursday together.
- This is the last week to bring in items for our Lenten Service. Pick and choose the options that work for your family at this time. Items need to be in by Thursday when we meet in the Church to celebrate this service. Father John will bless the gifts we are donating to Baby Corner, Uganda and St. Martin DePorres.
- UGANDA COLLECTION: Throughout Lent, on any day, we will be collecting money for Uganda. We encourage you to find ways for your child to earn this money through chores or good works so that they feel responsible for their donations.
- DIAPER COLLECTION: We will also be collecting diapers for Baby Corner throughout Lent. Again, try having your child earn money to purchase diapers to donate.
- CANNED FOOD COLLECTION: As a school we will be contributing to the HRS food pantry.
- Friday is a NOON DISMISSAL. At 10:30 we participate in Good Friday Mass and celebrate the Living Stations of the Cross. You are welcome to join us. Students will be dismissing in silence at noon. Thank you for picking up your students in silence at this time.
Passion Books: Students are excited to share their Passion Books with the first and kindergarten students this week and we have learned a lot through this project about Jesus’ life and death. Students will bring these home on Friday to share with you over Easter! Please complete the attached reflection and return to school by Tuesday, April 29th.
Poetry Homework: April is poetry month and third grade will be doing some special poetry activities. Last week, the assignment packet came home. In this assignment students are asked to pick a poem (they have four to choose from) and complete 3 activities by this Thursday, April 17. The directions are on the “Poetry Menu” and the poems follow.
Centennial Mass: You are warmly invited to join current and former students and staff along with the parish community of Holy Rosary in celebrating Mass in honor of the Centennial Year of Holy Rosary School with Archbishop J. Peter Sartain on Sunday, May 4 at 11:30 AM. Reception follows in Lanigan Gym. RSVP by April 30th with number attending to email@example.com. Please wear perfect uniform at this Mass.
This Week We Will Be Learning:
Reading: We finish reading chapter 9 this week. We will have the Ramona Quimby test this Wednesday. The test will include vocabulary from the book, comprehension questions, and students will be asked to create character webs. Students have a vocabulary review in their filer; they should be studying this at home. We will also review for the test in class.
Math: Today students learn their 9’s facts. Please check the sheet in your child’s folder to make sure he or she is up to date with all of his facts. We continue to work on collecting and organizing data.
Language Arts: We work on poetry this week.
Religion: Students share their Passion Books and project with kindergarten and first grade!
Science: We begin to learn about various types of ecosystems that are popular in Washington State: forest, river, ocean and high desert.
Social Studies: Students share what they learned about their families’ immigration histories. They read and learn about Ellis Island.
Spelling: No spelling this week.
Star of the week this week: Sophia K.
Star of the week next week: No Star
Have a great week!